Home Address: Professional Address:
102 Rynda Road Assoc. Prof. of Math.
(Applied Mathematics) 1974
M.S. (Chemical Engineering) 1960 Iowa State Univ.
- Assoc. Prof (Math.) NJIT 1974 - present
- Instructor (Math.)
- Aerospace Engineer NASA (Lewis Res. Lab.) 1962 - 1965
- Teacher of Math.
Consultant Dept. of Energy 1976
Kappraff, J. “Ancient Harmonic Law.” Bridges 2007. (2007)
Kappraff, J. and Adamson, G.W. “Generalized DNA Matrices, Silver Means, and Pythagorean Triples.” Unpublished. (2006).
Kappraff, J. “The Lost Harmonic Law of the Bible.” Proceedings of London-Bridges 2006. Edited by J. Sharp.
Kappraff, J. and McClain, E.G. “The Proportions of the Parthenon: A work of musically inspired architecture” International Journal for Music Iconography, Vol. XXX, no. 1-2 Spring-Fall 2005
Kappraff, J. In Search of the Golden Mean. FORMA Vol. 19, No. 4 (2005)
Kappraff, J. Growth of Plants: A Study in Number. FORMA Vol 19, No. 4 (2005).
Kappraff, J. and Adamson, G.W. Generalized Binet Formulas, Lucas Polynomials, and Cyclic Constants. FORMA vol. 19, No. 4 (2005)
Kappraff, J., Jablan, S., Adamson, G.W., Sazdonovich, R. Golden Fields, Generalized Fibonacci Sequences, and Chaotic Matrices. FORMA vol. 19, No. 4 (2005).
Kappraff, J. and Adamson, G.W. Polygons and Chaos. Journal of Biological Systems and Geometric Theories, Vol. 2 pp79-94 (Nov. 2004).
Kappraff, J. The Anatomy of a Bud. In Bridges:2004
edited by R. Sarhangi.
Kappraff, J. and Adamson, G.W. The Relationship of the Cotangent Function to Special Relativity Theory, Silver Means, p-cycles, and Chaos Theory. FORMA. Vol.18, No. 3 pp 249-262 (2003)
Kappraff, J. The Anatomy of a Bud. In Bridges:2004
edited by R. Sarhangi.
Kappraff, J. and Adamson, G.W. Polygons and Chaos. Journal of Dynamical Systems and Geometric Theories, Vol. 2 pp79-94 (Nov. 2004).
Kappraff, J. Complexity and Chaos Theory in Art. Chaos and Complexity Letters,
Vol 3.. Special Issue on Chaos and Complexity in Arts and Architecture. In press.
Kappraff, J. and McClain,E. The System of Proportions of the Parthenon: A Work of Musically Inspired Architecture. Music in Art: International Journal of Music Iconography. In press.
Kappraff, J and Adamson, G.W. A Unified Theory of Proportion. Conference Proceedings of ISAMA-Bridges 2003. J. Barrallo, et. al. editors (2003) and in Journal of Visual Mathematics (www.member.tripod.com/vismath (2003).
Kappraff, J. “The System of Proportions of the Parthenon and its Meaning.”
Proceedings of the 5th Bridges Conference, ed. by R. Sarhangi (2002).
Kappraff and Adamson, G.W. “Polygons and Chaos.” Symmetry : Art and Science No. 1/2 (2001).
Kappraff, J. “Beyond Measure: Essays in Nature Myth, and Number.” 600 pages.
Kappraff, J. "A Secret of Ancient Geometry." In Geometry at
Work edited by C.Gorini. Mathematics Association of
Kappraff, J. Ancient Harmonic Law. unpublished
Kappraff, J. and Hawkins, G. “The Music of the Spheres: Was
Kepler Wrong?” unpublished (2000)
Kappraff, J. and Adamson, G.W. “A Fresh Look at Number.” Visual
Mathematics (an electronic journal,
www.members.tripod.com/vismath) Vol. 2, No. 3 Fall 2000. Also
appeared in Bridges: 2000 edited by
Kappraff, J. “The Arithmetic of Nicomachus of Gerasa and its
Applications to Systems of Proportion”Nexus Network Journal (an
electronic journal, www.nexusjournal.com)Vol. 4, No. 3 October
Kappraff, J. Towers of Hanoi.Unpublished.
Kappraff, J. “The Hidden Pavements of Michelangelo’s Laurentian
Library.” Article in the Mathematical Tourist section of Mathematical Intelligencer.
Kappraff, J. “Systems of Proportion in Design and Architecture
and their relationship to Dynamical Systems.” In Visual
Mathematics (an electronic journal). Issue 1. Feb. 1999.
http:members.t. ripod.com/vismath/Also published in the Proceedings
of the Bridges Conference edited by R. Sarhangi (1999)
Nicholson, B., Kappraff, J., and Hisano, S. "The Hidden
Pavement Designs of the Laurentian Library." In Nexus '98 edited
Nicholson, B., Kappraff, J., and Hisano, S. "A Taxonomy of
Ancient Geometry Based on the Hidden Pavements of Michelangelo's
Laurentian Library." In Proceedings of the Second International
Conference on Art and Mathematics edited by J.Barrallo.Also
published in the Proceedings of the Bridges Conference edited by
R. Sarhangi (1998)
Kappraff, J., Blackmore, D., and Adamson, G. "Phyllotaxis as a
Dynamical System: A Study in Number." In Symmetry in Plants
edited by R.V. Jean and D. Barabe.
In print (1996).
Kappraff, J. "Musical Proportions at the Basis of Architectural
Proportions both Ancient and Modern." In Nexus '96 edited by
K.Williams. Fuccechio: Edizioni Dell' Erba. In print (1996).
Kappraff, J. "Linking the Musical Proportions of Renaissance,
the Modulor, and Roman Systems of Proportions."
Space Structures, Vol. 11, Nos. 1 and 2 (1996).
Blackmore, D. and Kappraff, J. "Phyllotaxis and Toral
Dynamical Systems." ZAMM (1995).
Kappraff, J. "Tangrams, Amish Quilts, and Sacred Geometry".
Kappraff, J. "Connections: The Geometric Bridge between Art and
Science " 470 pages.
Kappraff, J. "The Relationship between Mathematics and
Mysticism of the Golden Mean through History." In Five-fold
Symmetry in a Cultural Context edited by Istvan Hargittai.
Kappraff, J. "The Spiral in Myth, Mathematics, and Nature."
In Spiral Symmetry edited by I. Hargittai and C.A. Pickover.
Kappraff, J. "A Course in the Mathematics of Design." In
Symmetry:Unifying Human Understanding. Edited by I.
Hargittai. Pergamon Press. 1986. Also appeared in Comp. and
Math. with Appl., Vol 12B, Nos. 3/4, pp 655-671. 1986
Kappraff, J. "The Geometry of Coastlines: A study in
Fractals." In Symmetry: Unifying Human Understanding edited by
I. Hargittai. Pergamon Press. 1986. Also appeared in
Comp. and Math. with Appl., Vol. 12B, Nos. 3/4, pp. 913-948,
Other significant publications:
1. Kappraff, J. and Marzec, C. "Properties of Maximal Spacing
on a Circle Related to Phyllotaxis and the Golden Mean." of Theor. Biol Vol. 103,
2. Burridge, R., Kappraff, J., and Moshedi, C. "A Mathematical
Model of the Sitar String: A boundary value problem with
No.6, Dec. 1982.
3. Kappraff, J. and Cohen, S. "Passive Solar Heating." UMAP
4. Kappraff, J. and Grossmann, W. "Effect of Hall Current and
Rotation of Tearing Modes of a Theta Pinch." J. of Plasma
Phys. Vol. 25, Prt 1, pp. 111-131. 1981.
5. Kappraff, J. and Tataronis, J.A. "Resistive Effects on
Alfven Wave Heating." J. Plasma Phys , Vol. 18, pp. 209-226. 1977.
Completed 11 half-hour videotapes on "Mathematics of Design." The videotapes were broadcast over Cable TV of New Jersey and several other public TV networks.
1. Graham Foundation. To write the book, Beyond Measure. $9000
1. Graham Foundation. Production of a Telecourse in Mathematics
of Design. $9817. 1993-1994.
2. National Endowment for the Arts. To write A Workbook on
Spatial Design Mathematics. $7500 Mr. 1991 - Mar. 1992
3. Graham Foundation. To write the book, Connections. $7500.
Sept. 1987 - Sept. 1988.
4. New Jersey Department of Higher Education. Experimental
Mathematics and Communications Summer Program. PI. $15,000.
5. Schumann Foundation. Exp. Math. and Comm. Summer Program.
PI. $37,500. 1983.
6. Schumann Foundation. Exp. Math. and Comm. Program. PI.
7. Graham Foundation. To write a set of Lecture Notes on The
Mathematics of Design. $3000. 1980. 8. Naval Research Lab. PI. to investigate a mathematical model for the suppression of the "tearing mode" instability in a controlled thermonuclear plasma. $40,000. 1977 - 1978.
1. Organizer of three major public forums on Nuclear War at
NJIT and the AAAS.
2. Organizer and Director of the Experimental Mathematics and
Communications Summer Program for inner city children from
3. Initiator and Director of the Treisman Program at NJIT to
improve retention at the undergraduate level - 1991.
4. Member of the Faculty Council
5. Chairman of the NJIT Technology and Society Forum committee. Since 2004-
present we have produced 24 Forums and concerts with such notable speakers as Freeman
Cirincione, and Michael Oppenheimer on such topics as stem cell research, global
warming, nuclear non-proliferation, nanotechnology, sustainable development,
voting machines, peak oil,
1. Wrote and directed a program “The Musicians and Artists of
Terezin.” Performed at the
2. President of a local civic group dedicated to sound
3. Organizer of a local Chamber Music Workshop. 1991 -
4. Member of the Village Baroque Ensemble
5. Member of the Essex
County Voting Task Force helping
rational selection of electronic voting machines to replace their lever machines..
1. Mathematics Association
2. On editorial board of the International Journal of
Biological Systems - a new interdisciplinary journal
3. Guest editor of the special issue on the Golden Mean of the journal FORMA Vol 19, No. 4 (2005)
Honors and Awards:
1. Selected for Who's Who in Science and Technology. 1983,2006.
2. Program Recognition Award of the New Jersey Department of
High Education for an educational summer program. 1985.
3. Selected for Who's Who in American Education. 1993, 2006.
4. Selected for Who’s Who in America 2006
4. Association of American Publishers award for the best book in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy Professional and Reference for 1991 for the book Connections.
Course of 1996.
6. Excellence in Teaching Award 2001 - 2002
Violin, chamber music, tennis, tai chi